One of the most popular paneer recipe at Indian restaurants is palak paneer, a mildly flavored dish made with spinach and cottage cheese (the paneer), along with the typical Indian spices.
Thanks to the large portions of spinach and fenugreek leaves included in the recipe, this dish takes on a deep green hue. The cubed paneer are pan-fried first, contributing a nice texture to the dish. Palak paneer gets even better when served with your favorite flatbread.
- 1 pound/500 gms paneer (look below for recipe to make your own paneer)
- 2 medium-sized bunches of spinach (fresh, approximately 1 lb. or 500 gm.)
- 1/2 bunch fresh fenugreek leaves (approximately 1/4 lb./125 gms)
- 4 tbsp. vegetable oil (or canola/sunflower oil)
- 1 large onion (chopped fine)
- 1 large tomato (diced)
- 2 teaspoons garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- Salt to taste
- Garnish: 1 tbsp. of butter
Cut the paneer into 1″ cubes. Heat 2 tbsps of oil in a heavy-bottomed pan and stir-fry the paneer till golden. Remove and drain on paper towels. Keep aside.