The chicken in this dish is lightly poached in sake, soy and sugar for an authentic Japanese flavour.
- 20g dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1/2 cup (125ml) sake
- 1/4 cup (60ml) light soy sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons caster sugar
- 2 cups (500ml) Massel Chicken Style Liquid Stock
- 2 x 180g chicken breast fillets
- 1 bunch bok choy or choy sum
- 270g packet soba noodles
- 150g enoki mushrooms
- 1 long red chilli, thinly sliced
- 1.Place the shiitake in a heatproof bowl and cover with 2 cups (500ml) hot water. Set aside for 5 minutes, then drain, reserving the mushroom liquid.
- 2.Place the sake, soy sauce, sugar, chicken stock and reserved mushroom liquid into a saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Add the chicken, return to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Turn the chicken over, add the bok choy and cook for a further 5-7 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken and bok choy from the saucepan, transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- 3.Bring the broth back to a simmer. Add the noodles, enoki and shiitake. Cook for 7 minutes or until noodles are tender.
- Use tongs to divide the noodles among bowls. Shred the chicken and top noodles with chicken, mushrooms, bok choy and sliced red chilli. Spoon poaching broth into bowls to serve.